According to popular diet advice, bad diets are generally those diets that are unhealthy and do not address the problems that caused you to gain weight in the first place. If you don't learn something about the foods you eat, you will gain the weight back when you reestablish old eating habits.
Following are some of the major side effects associated with bad diets.
- Unbalanced and unhealthy : Some so called fat burning diets frequently require the elimination of perfectly healthy foods. As a result, what you eat is not a healthy, balanced combination of food and lacks several vital minerals and portions of food such as complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber or essential fatty acids.
- Can cause starvation : If a fat burning diet plan asks you to a skip a meal in a day, it probably will not work for you. In reality, it could cause quite the opposite effect i.e. weight gain by slowing your metabolism. That’s why; having frequent smaller meals instead of 2 or 3 larger meals in a day is always preferred.
- Can devoid you of exercise : Most bad diets claim that with their regular use, you would continue to lose weight even if you don’t exercise. This is completely untrue. In fact, to achieve long-term weight loss goals, a perfect combination of diet and exercise is must.
- Results are temporary : Bad diets may be effective for weight loss in the short term because you will lose some extra fluid as well as some fat. However, the weight loss is usually temporary because you're going to return to your old eating habits when you go off the diet. In a few weeks, your weight will be right back where it was before the diet.
- Inconsistent effects : Another problem with bad diets is that these diets only work when you stay on them so that means you have to be on a diet the rest of your life to be successful.
- Expensive in long run : Naturally, when one has to strictly follow a certain diet regiment and for long time period, it will definitely cause a burden on the user’s pocket
- Undesirable health hazards : Some of diets contain ephedrine, a dangerous, addictive drug that is not only illegal in high-level athletes, but also potentially deadly because it can increase incidence of strokes, seizures, and heart attacks. They are even more dangerous when combined with caffeine or other herbs. These dangerous chemicals can also be found in teas and drinks.
- Risk of excessive fluid loss / dehydration : Most bad diets cause paid and excessive fluid loss. This naturally results in fast weight loss and many dieters mistakenly think of this as a major benefit of such diets. Typically, this levels off after 8-12 weeks. When normal intake of carbs resumes, the weight is usually regained. Also, excessive fluid loss in the early stage of such diets (e.g. low carb diet regime) can cause low blood pressure resulting in dizziness and fainting.
- Constipation : A diet restricted in carbohydrates will not permit sufficient fiber from fruits, grains or vegetables. Result? Constipation is a frequent side-effect of low carb dieting. On the other hand, fiber itself is important in causing sustained and long term weight loss which is usually deficient in these diets.
- Frustration : The meal plan for these so called low carb or fat burning diets is very strict and demands that participants make no changes. With the exception of a choice between coffee and tea, no options are offered. Because the diet is so demanding, dieters are likely to give up before they have finished and might potentially be frustrated from attempting to diet in the future as a result.